To Your Heart's Content

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Law Internship

I was doing research on law firms and came across a small, though very experienced one, that attracted me. So I sent an e-mail to the big laoban (boss), asking if there was a position or internship available. Next thing, I got an e-mail and I was on my way to an interview. Basically, it was founded in LA and has opened up two offices in China. Their focus is Immigration, IPR, and Amercan and China business law. Most of our lawyers are from CA. Anyhow, after the interview I questioned whether or not I would get the internship. I have no experience, nil, none, zip, zero and I am probably not the youngest candidate. The interview went okay, I felt, and I was redeemed by the simple fact that they had an intern last year who, luck would have it, was also a UCLA grad and is now at UCLA law (who I will also hopefully be following...). For obvious reasons it would be no less than a huge boon, increasing my experience, meeting people, and helping my resume for when I apply to law school this October. Well, I just got a call from the Beijing office and I will be starting next Monday! They've provided some leeway as well, deferring my full-time internship until after I take the LSAT, before which time I will be interning part-time; I assume that means training. This is the good news.

The bad news is that the pay is not as great as one would like it to be. Given what normal interns, that is, Chinese interns (and even lawyers), are paid, it is not bad. Enough to live on (as an expat in China barely). Given my salary at Qinghua though, well, let's just say I am going to have to cut down on play time, sushi, and snacks. But is it worth it? I think so. And I negotiated during tonight's phone call that in the contract on Monday we amend a stipulation or clause that after a preliminary period (perhaps two months), it could be, but not guaranteed to be, renegotiated. Well, then, wish me luck!

4 Comments:

  • Hi Justin,

    Congratulations with your internship. I am trying to gather, comment and share information about IPR in China to make it more transparent. You might be in a great position to comment and share info about this.

    Cheers,

    IP Dragon
    htt://ipdragon.blogspot.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:39 AM, August 31, 2006  

  • Sounds great! A good topic to be researching, with some big cases in China developing recently and surely more to come... So far I am mostly working on immigration law, however, particular B-1s for big multinationals. But I will certainly keep you in mind and watch out for any useful info.

    By Blogger justin, at 8:25 AM, September 13, 2006  

  • India is also a great place to do internships. The advantage is tourism + internship.Lots of law students are nowadays coming to India for law Internship Especially to tourist places like kerala.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:00 PM, November 25, 2006  

  • Kerala is a great place (so I hear)! If I were to go to India, it would be my second stop after landing in Bombay, and it wouldn't be to intern!

    By Blogger justin, at 3:51 AM, November 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 



see web stats